Knee injuries and their causes
The main traumatic knee injuries are:
- full or partial ligaments ruptures;
- meniscus injury;
- The patella fractures, the distal femur and the tibia.
The most characteristic trauma symptoms are pain and limitation of motor activity. The pain can be localized and intense. There is redness of the surface tissues and a local increase in temperature. Characteristic clicks, creaking and crunching can be heard. When an inflammatory effusion forms in the joint capsule, the sore knee increases and is significantly deformed. The severity of one or another pathological sign largely depends on the limitation and injury type.
There are many causes leading to knee injuries. Sudden injuries are the result of direct strong impact (a fall from a height, an accident, a hit, twisting of the leg during sharp braking, landing after a jump, etc.). Degenerative- dystrophic, inflammatory and infectious diseases of various anatomical knee structures are considered a significant factor in increased injuries. Also, at risk are elderly people, patients suffering from obesity, diabetes mellitus and polyneuropathy, and people taking anabolic steroids.
The knee joint damage can require serious surgical intervention and entail negative consequences, sometimes exceeding the severity of the injury itself. The most common are:
- Tendonitis (the tendon inflammation due to constant overvoltage and repeated microtrauma);
- Post-traumatic contractures;
- Knee joint instability;
- Hemarthrosis (bleeding into the joint cavity);
- Purulent arthritis (infectious inflammation);
- Synovitis (inflammation of the synovial membrane lining the joint cavity surface);
- Bursitis (inflammatory process in the periarticular bag);
- Intraarticular adhesions (excessive proliferation of fibrous tissue);
- Gonarthrosis (degenerative-dystrophic pathology, which involves all the elements of the knee joint).
The rarest, but extremely dangerous consequence is osteosarcoma. The knee joint injury can become a trigger, provoking the development of this insidious and rapidly growing malignant tumor.
Knee injury recovery
Regardless of the severity of the injury and the nature of the treatment, a special role in the recovery process is given to professional rehabilitation. Full joints restoration after an injury is aimed at activating self-regulation mechanisms and accelerated compensation of partially or completely lost functions. However, it is extremely difficult and not always possible to return to an active lifestyle without the help of professionals.
Dr. Blum's Biomechanics Center provides comprehensive rehabilitation for patients with traumatic injuries of various sections of the musculoskeletal system. Knee recovery after an injury is carried out according to the unique author’s methodology of an expert in functional movement, MD, professor Eugene Blum. This system, based on the principles of clinical biomechanics and ergonomics of the human body movements, has been successfully used for many years to correct disturbed physiological functions.
Rehabilitation after a knee injury is based on a personalized approach. For the modular construction of an individual recovery program that provides the most effective solution to the problem, biomechanical diagnostics are preliminarily assigned. This set of studies allows us to analyze the model of movement, identify the "weak links" of the kinematic chain of the musculoskeletal system and build them in a priority row according to the order of solving problems.
The Dr. Blum Center uses patented simulators to repair a knee after an injury. Thanks to the deep muscles development in an eccentric mode, the anatomical, morphological and functional norm of the affected segment and the organism as a whole is restored, asymmetries are eliminated, and the natural mechanisms of tissue healing and regeneration are turned on. Local targeted exposure and repeated repetition provides the most complete correction in a short period of time. A comprehensive multidisciplinary approach that defines the short-term and long-term rehabilitation tasks after the knee joint injury allows to achieve a significant effect. Advantages of the method:
- Lack of medicine correction;
- Eccentric loads with low energy costs;
- Elaboration of deep-seated structures beyond the control of consciousness;
- The development of stress tolerance and increased tolerance to physical activity;
- The blood circulation and lymph flow stimulation, elimination of articular displacements and deformations;
- Accelerated rehabilitation at the expense of the body’s own resources.
Dr. Bloom's Biomechanics Center in Marbella is a place where you may find a help. Thanks to an integrative approach to rehabilitation, the knee injury consequences will be eliminated step by step and you can return to an active life.